Sunday, December 20, 2009

An Elbow??


About two weeks ago I was called to come pick Braydon up from school because his teacher didn't feel comfortable sending him home on the bus. She told me "Braydon was in PE and got hit in the head by someones elbow and has a nice goose egg on his head." So of course I rushed over to see what she was talking about. I get in his class and he is surrounded by three TA's (teacher assistants) his para, the teacher and the nurse. I looked at Braydon and he has a HUGE! golf ball size knot on his head. I ask his para "An elbow, my goodness who's elbow hit him and did they break it?" She replied, "There where so many kids around him I couldn't see who it was." After a few minutes of discussing this and possibly taking him to the pediatrician to check him out, I head on out the front. As I am leaving one of the sweet little girls in his regular class says good bye to Braydon. I tell her he really isn't too excited right now because he got hurt today and she says "I know he fell out of his wheelchair and hit his head." I felt like I was standing in a tornado being sucked out of the room and I couldn't breath or think. I turned around to see the assistant principal standing there and I told him the situation of two versions of the head injury and leave the school. Thirty minutes later the principal is calling me and letting me know that she had called a meeting together with all the staff involved. Long story short the para panicked and lied. Braydon was being pushed around the gym by one of the kids in his class and it tipped his chair over. She couldn't apologize enough. The following days were filled with police reports, human resource investigations and termination of staff (one) involved in the lie. It is very unfortunate that this had happened. I know Braydon was enjoying every minute of being pushed around by one of his classmates. I would have understood that it was an accident and all would have been fine. I was very pleased with the way the Principal and Assistant Principal handled this situation. Braydon was fine, no concussion, just an ugly knot that is slowly going away. I am glad for that sweet little girl being in the right place at the right time. I could only imagine if Braydon hurt his neck, arm or had a severe concussion and I just thought he had an "Elbow to the Head". It is very hard when I think about the future and can only hope and pray that my son will find a way to have a voice for himself. He was sitting in the room this entire time with this look on his face, the nurse had commented on how he just didn't look normal. After the day was over I had thought, "He was listening to everyone talk about getting hit by an elbow and all he could think about was what are they talking about??"

3 comments:

  1. What a terrible thing to have to go through. I pray for our children and you and me both!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Lisa!! Just confirms fears that I am sure we all have deep down inside. Like you say, Accidents do happen and we can't always prevent our children from getting hurt, but we have no choice but to trust those who we leave our children with and hope that they will take the care and cautions (as the case may be) that we would and it is just such a huge disappointment when we find that their number one priority isn't our childrens safety but their own butts!! I am so happy that nothing more serious than a huge (and I am sure painful) bump resulted from Brayden's fall. The what if's are always so worrisome!! I know my big hurdle right now is debating about allowing Gavin to go in the nursery at church. Sounds like something miniscule, but he doesn't walk, doesn't hardly speak, has no way to really defend himself, and my worry is if another toddler trips over him, or steps on him, or even hits him with a toy....are there enough eyes in there to keep my baby safe?

    ReplyDelete